Welcome to the GameZone24.net Forums - Serious Sam.
  • [NEWS] Developer Blog 4: OpenGL and Shaders

(Originally posted at: https://samrev.com/?p=8)

Hello again and welcome to yet another developer blog by Mischie-... nope, wait, I just got word that Angelo is feeling better, so I'm going to give the keyboard to him and let him ramble on!

Today, I want to talk a little bit about graphics. Specifically, OpenGL. In Serious Sam Classic you could change the graphics API between OpenGL and Direct3D. For Serious Sam Revolution, we have decided to drop support for Direct3D entirely. We've done this for a number of reasons, one in particular is that the 2 programmers that work on this project (am I talking in third person?) are not engine programmers, so we couldn't be bothered to maintain graphics APIs for both Direct3D and OpenGL, since it would take way too much time with way too much gain. With that being said, the other reason we've dropped Direct3D support is because OpenGL is backwards (and forwards) compatible, meaning that we can use 4.4 API calls (for example) in the current implementation without majorly redoing the entire graphics code. Getting D3D9 in a D3D8 application is a lot more complex, and potentially not even worth the trouble, since most (if not all) graphic cards nowadays support a decent enough version of OpenGL.

Okay, moving on. Enough about Direct3D. Blegh, Microsoft. (Just kidding, I'm still a fan of their products.) What about OpenGL? What have we done to improve the graphics? So far we've mostly toyed around with shaders, and implementing it into the game in a way that level designers can use these shaders in however way they wish.

We currently support vertex and fragment shaders for 2 things: models and post processing. Now what I can show you here is limited, mainly because I am not a shader programmer~ uh.. I mean.. mathemagician. But despite me not capable of writing amazing shaders, this should still get you excited that you will be able to potentially use this in your levels!

Since a lot of regular people are reading this who probably don't know a lot about GLSL, I'm going to explain a little bit of how it exactly works, and what would be the exact potential for your levels. Let's go over a fairly simple and basic post processing shader first. We have a Post Processing Effect entity in our world, which we have given the following fragment shader:

Code:
    #version 330 core

in vec2 UV;
    out vec4 outColor;
    uniform sampler2D screen;

void main()
    {
      // main color
      vec4 col = texture(screen, UV);

// switch red and blue values around
      float red = col.x;
      col.x = col.z;
      col.z = red;

// use that color
      outColor = col;
    }
    What the above shader does is take a pixel from the screen at the given UV coordinates, then switch around the red and blue values in the pixel, and then put it back in its place. Fairly simple, right? In our PP Effect entity, we've set the range to about 4 meters, so we can step in and out of the range of the entity. Here's the result:

Now this shader is just the most basic shader you could probably think of. Most shaders are a lot more complex and confusing, as you can see at the amazing site Shadertoy (warning: this site might freeze your browser while it loads) Here's an example of a more complex shader that I wrote - I use the word "complex" as a relative term here - that uses the "distance" uniform to get the player's distance to the entity:

Code:
    #version 330 core

in vec2 UV;
    out vec4 outColor;
    uniform sampler2D screen;
    uniform vec2 resolution;
    uniform float distance;

const float pi = 3.1415926;
    const float pi2 = 1.5707963;

vec4 lerp(vec4 a, vec4 b, float x) {
      return a + (b - a) * x;
    }

void main()
    {
      vec4 col = texture(screen, UV);
      vec4 sum = vec4(0);
      for(int x = -4; x <= 4; x++) {
        for(int y = -4; y <= 4; y++) {
          sum += texture(screen, vec2(
            UV.x + x * (1.0 / resolution.x),
            UV.y + y * (1.0 / resolution.y))) / 81.0;
        }
      }
      float delta = abs(sin(UV.x * pi + pi2)) / (distance / 21.4791f);
      outColor = lerp(col, vec4(sum.xyz, 1), delta);
    }
    The result of this is as seen below:

Just for the heck of it, I decided to take a random shader from Shadertoy and use it as a Post Processing shader, just to show what you can do with this:

Pretty, isn't it? I recommend you stroll around Shadertoy if you're interested in this kind of thing. That website is full of great demos, and it even has a WebGL playground where you can write your own shaders right in your browser.

Oh, and you like gif animations, right? I'm sure you do. Here, have one.

And ofcourse it also works on model holders, though I have yet to think of a decent example for that, so more on that later, I guess!

On a more technical note, I should list the currently available uniform variables.

• (PP only) sampler2D screen - the screen texture
    • (PP only) vec3 velocityrel - relative player velocity
    • (PP only) vec3 velocityabs - absolute player velocity
    • (PP only) float distance - distance between player and PP entity
    • (PP only) vec2 resolution - screen resolution
    • float time - time in seconds since the shader started
    • float paramN[0-4] - configurable parameters in entity

Well, that's that. I believe this will open up a lot of possibilities in new and interesting gameplay, considering we've also been working on scriptabi~ uhh, I mean.. that's for a later developer blog.

What do you think? Does this inspire you? What would you like to see modders do with this? Post it in the comments below!

Until next week - Angelo the catt out.
    This article was originally published in forum thread: [NEWS] Developer Blog 4: OpenGL and Shaders started by AlligatorPit View original post
    Comments 48 Comments
      GraphX of GZ wow -
      i love it
      Bullet -
      Looks awesome!
      De$troyer -
      Observer Mastaa -
      Me likey!
      Brutality -
      cool
      Pheonix -
      awesome!
      Prottoss of GZ wow -
      i read it twice now and i still dont get what this is abut :/
      AmcoTraD -
      Yes same, its just said that d3d is gone and totally replaced by OpenGL

But i dont even know the difference
      Skyward -
      Just hope the latest OpenGL version will be compatible with windows 8(x64), because we cant adjust the resolution to the screen scale.. even through the graphic pilote, i've been able to get the full screen in 1080 only with Direct 3D. Otherwise with open gl we still have that black area all around an unzoomed screen.
      (Talking abous SE classic with a Radeon HD7870)
      Scratch -
      Your.. I.. what?

You do realize what the idea behind OpenGL is, right? Its implementation is completely dependent by the hardware vendor, not the OS.
      Skyward -
      Ah.. well I couldn't know from where the problem could come from because I have changed my whole computer so for someone like me having a low knowledge in that domain and not having found any solution, the problem could come from anything..
      Barktooth -
      Only downside is OpenGL runs worse in terms of FPS.. I think? Or maybe I'm confusing with UT.. either way, good work on the shaders!
      HeLLspAWn -
      You're wrong Barktooth. I get over 300fps with OpenGL and around 160 with D3D.. there is a huge difference in fps but since my monitor is 75Hz with D3D and it doesn't work with openGL (the freqency other than default 60Hz), 75FPS is the minimum ammount of fps which makes the gameplay "smooth". It applies only to LCD displays though.
      Prottoss of GZ wow -
      dont remove D3D, cant use WH then

btw Bark i get bigger fps in OpenGL too especially when using fraps to record something..
      Barktooth -
      Hmm for me any difference matters because I get like 20FPS on Fortress
      Just tested it on an empty server, 40FPS with OGL and 37 with D3D. In UT it's the opposite though.
      Prottoss of GZ wow -
      ask click for his PresetSymbols or smthing like that, reduces fps big time!
      GraphX of GZ wow -
      Quote Originally Posted by Barktooth View Post
      Hmm for me any difference matters because I get like 20FPS on Fortress
      Just tested it on an empty server, 40FPS with OGL and 37 with D3D. In UT it's the opposite though.
      You have shitty hardware?
      Barktooth -
      Quote Originally Posted by Prottoss View Post
      ask click for his PresetSymbols or smthing like that, reduces fps big time!
      Why would I wanna reduce FPS LOL
      But I've tried it with like completely gray walls so it looked worse than Click's, 2 more FPS usually xD
      @GraphX Yea integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator chip
      HeLLspAWn -
      I've finally set OpenGL with 75Hz Vertical frequency with help by version of Graphx at Graphx. Was very neat to set that but now.. HIM SIRIUS SEM FEEL LIKE F35 DIESEL !!! Everything is so smooth now, high quality with 500 fps which still doesn't get utilized because of 75Hz / 75FPS cap on LCD.

Tomorrow will be a good day to play
      CLICK -
      Quote Originally Posted by GraphX View Post
      You have shitty hardware?
      This game is out in 2002y and should work smooth even on old PC

40fps in Serious Sam Classic are equal with 15fps in other games. I dont get why i have slowmo effect even with 80 FPS for example on roof in LT or in some custom maps with a lot of polygons (or whatever causes that shit). I feel mouse latency even when i have 130fps. I really hope that rendering will be completely smooth in SSRev