Welcome to the GameZone24.net Forums - Serious Sam.

View Poll Results: Air Acceleration

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 35.71%
  • No

18 64.29%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Alligator Pit

Downloads:Uploads: 0

yeah maybe @ poli
    Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this post are my own, not my employer's.

Downloads: 28  Uploads: 3

Not sure, I really need test it first to know better

Alligator Pit

Yeap. Ill try to make it first and ill see if it drastically changes the gameplay.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Politician View Post
    I'm for all changes as long as you can switch back to status quo via a variable. I guess this will change the gameplay very much :|
    Could you please elaborate? Maybe there's something I didn't think about. I guesse I'm in favour for the non sniping guys, but that's not the reason I like this. How would it affect the gameplay very much? Doesn't removing grenades or canon change it more?

Figona

NO
    it wil make the game more extreme and allmost imposible to hit in air some1
    thats a stupid idea should be dissable,only allowed from the jumpers and thats it

Elite Member

It's already allowed from platforms as well with a limited time (spent on that very platform).
    But then again, I'm much more for only fixing bugs, though I personally always saw this as a kind of a bug myself.

|Limited Edition|

Downloads: 12  Uploads: 0

just remember....the more complicated shit the more lag

Sig made by DEXTRONIC

My best Mate Jackal (is gay)

*Seen someone hacking/cheating/being gay in Noobzland Server? PM with demo, name, and time *

Lyrical Master

There's already horizontal acceleration when going up which is normal, now I don't understand why anyone would want to add some when going down aswell. I think you don't really realize what it will do, like jouni said, a test is needed. Sam isn't superman.

I remember when I was developping my Mario for school, I was struggling with Newton laws to render a perfect jump and I remember I first didn't remove the acceleration when falling. It was funny trust me

Basically it would double the jump length, meaning you would be able to jump over gaps twice longer. Not really twice, as the vertical axis matters too but you don't really want me to get all geek and mathematician on you.

The perfect example to illustrate is probably the main wood bridge in fortress. You can directly jump on this bridge from both sides when you're holding the knife. Well with horizontal acceleration when falling turned on you would almost be able to get directly on the other side yay ! And of course it would be much harder to get on the bridge since you'd always have to slow your jump down.

It's not a big deal for new players but when you've been used for years to doing things a certain way, it's hard to change. There are plenty of other platforms that could be reachable with this, and plenty so far easy jumps that would become a pain in the ass. I don't even wanna imagine what would happen in TLT. That's the kind of gameplay changes Poli talks about Petter.

Also remember what acceleration really is, the longer the distance and the longer you're in the air, the faster you go. What would happen if you fall from the heart platform in hole according to you ?

If you really want to implement this then you need to set up a maximum speed to limit its effect and to make sure it never causes bad syncs.

Molotow

Downloads: 70  Uploads: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Petter View Post
    Could you please elaborate? Maybe there's something I didn't think about. I guesse I'm in favour for the non sniping guys, but that's not the reason I like this. How would it affect the gameplay very much? Doesn't removing grenades or canon change it more?
    No... it's a new thing and I'm old and greasy and don't like change Never touch a running system

I'm just worried about the word 'always' since this implies you can move around whenever the condition 'being in air' is true.
    Imagine you are doing an ordinary jump and then strafe etc. like you can do now when bouncing, I do not need to tell how much harder it would be to hit an enemy who isn't only strafing but changing his vertical position, let alone the effect it would have on the reachability of certain places in maps.

Administrator

No
    Stifmeister -)Campers(-

"Empty-net goals are for homos."
    ~ Al Iafrate

Elite Member

IC.. then I completely misunderstood what was meant. I'll explain what I thought this was: Imagine you're on the lazer platform in red station. Now, if you only take a quick turn on the platform to gather the lazer ammo and then going down, you'll be able to move in the air while going down. Let's say you stay there for a little bit longer, you won't be able to move at all in the air while going down. It's the same when you're for ex in skulls at the fire the canon, and then decide to go down to the shotty. You can move towards the shotty in the air while going down provided you didn't stay on the "upper floor" (where fire the canon is) too long. Hell the things you'tr talking about ain't something good... my bad.. But I still would like to see that you can move in the air while going down from platforms though, even if you stayed there for 1 sec more than letting you be able too do it

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Dre View Post
    There's already horizontal acceleration when going up which is normal, now I don't understand why anyone would want to add some when going down aswell. I think you don't really realize what it will do, like jouni said, a test is needed. Sam isn't superman.

I remember when I was developping my Mario for school, I was struggling with Newton laws to render a perfect jump and I remember I first didn't remove the acceleration when falling. It was funny trust me

Basically it would double the jump length, meaning you would be able to jump over gaps twice longer. Not really twice, as the vertical axis matters too but you don't really want me to get all geek and mathematician on you.

The perfect example to illustrate is probably the main wood bridge in fortress. You can directly jump on this bridge from both sides when you're holding the knife. Well with horizontal acceleration when falling turned on you would almost be able to get directly on the other side yay ! And of course it would be much harder to get on the bridge since you'd always have to slow your jump down.

It's not a big deal for new players but when you've been used for years to doing things a certain way, it's hard to change. There are plenty of other platforms that could be reachable with this, and plenty so far easy jumps that would become a pain in the ass. I don't even wanna imagine what would happen in TLT. That's the kind of gameplay changes Poli talks about Petter.

Also remember what acceleration really is, the longer the distance and the longer you're in the air, the faster you go. What would happen if you fall from the heart platform in hole according to you ?

If you really want to implement this then you need to set up a maximum speed to limit its effect and to make sure it never causes bad syncs.
    Thought about it and understood good now.. it's not a good thing, lol!

|Limited Edition|

never.. just fix the damn bugs and add some stuff like autodownloader, anticheat etc.

Campers Clan

Downloads: 15  Uploads: 0

rofl u dont want me to add hitzones cause u have to aim harder and now u want to add those shit. very good explained, dr.dre. this is no bug, its a physical law and absolutely correct. it would things totally mess up to change this. its nearly impossible then to hit an enemy who is lagstrafing in the air, that would be the easiest way to dodge fire then and change the gameplay dramatically.
    'To tell you the truth, I can beat anyone in the world.' ~ Bruce Lee

Alligator Pit

dre, i dont agree with you.. i want to see that what you explained first.. i think the forward force is always the same in a jump when you keep holding down the forward key. it decelerates when you release it. so it would be the same effect.

or am i totally not getting the point..?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread Information