Welcome to the GameZone24.net Forums - Serious Sam.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    |Limited Edition|

Downloads: 21  Uploads: 91

yeah pathos movies were great.. too bad he never finished this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5mL0SlOrzQ
    Phantom|Limited Edition|

[handshake]

Downloads:Uploads: 0

What a trip to stumble across this thread after all these years. Hard to believe I created Rocket Whore some 15 years ago now. I did eventually get it to stick on YouTube after years of frustrating takedowns. Good to hear it's been enjoyed; I spent an (entirely too intense) age putting it all together. I had never edited video before so I was teaching myself premiere as I went along. And back then there was no YouTube in existence to guide me through the process. Laborious doesn’t begin to cover it.

But it's good the intent came through. The “effects” and such were never going to be its selling point (indeed I myself cringe to this very day on just how poor they truly are), so I focused instead on smoothing the simple transitions, and trying to create a "flow" within a rough narrative. I tried to make it fun in a manner that the game itself had me feeling, and with luck capture a little of its spirit. I was also fortunate in that my obstinate method of first person play at the time differed to most, and therefore allowed me to present something of a different flavor to what was then the early-days norm. Starting with rolling with the irony on the title itself.

On a related note, believe it or not I still have all my Dance War assets and keyframes saved, with the project sitting at 98% completion (as in the full movie release of the Ronald vs. Michael Jackson thing, for which I never really settled upon a name and only released a trailer), in tandem with a good 75% of Rocket Whore 2 done. All running off footage circa 2003. The only reason I've never completed them is... those assets were keyed and linked to an early version of premiere which I was never able to run on modern operating systems, and the newer versions of premiere are so vastly different I'd essentially have to “teach myself” to edit all over again and re-edit all the sequences from scratch. And unlike way back then... well, I'm an old’ish man now. Even the act of composing this very missive has necessitated lengthy moments of recuperation between paragraphs (I actually started this post 3 days ago).

Still, one day I'll likely start over with the base footage for my own damn piece of mind and stitch something together, however shabby it may be and however non-existent the audience. If nothing else it would serve as a neat time capsule of the state of the game nearer to infancy.

To this day SS:SE remains my all time fave FPS. Heck I still have all my demos, even the old FS stuff (may the lad ever RIP) along with the very first movie releases from guys like 9.99 and Execution. Just loved the game to bits. The sheer fragmatch freneticism was a veritable form of adrenaline unto itself.

Add me on PSN if anyone is still around (I am "Soggypathos").

[hollers at guide dog and hobbles away]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47S_de7yOss

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pathos; 03.07.2018 at 12:40. Reason: spelling

Director

Downloads: 33  Uploads: 10

The TRUE Serious Sam legend is here (at least stopped by). Nice to hear from you Pathos !
    Where r my 115e? and now we Have a Problem.
    -
    -----------------

GameZone24.net Forums founder. The Director since 2003

elus1veness

Downloads: 781  Uploads: 58

Quote Originally Posted by Pathos View Post
    What a trip to stumble across this thread after all these years. Hard to believe I created Rocket Whore some 15 years ago now. I did eventually get it to stick on YouTube after years of frustrating takedowns. Good to hear it's been enjoyed; I spent an (entirely too intense) age putting it all together. I had never edited video before so I was teaching myself premiere as I went along. And back then there was no YouTube in existence to guide me through the process. Laborious doesn’t begin to cover it.

But it's good the intent came through. The “effects” and such were never going to be its selling point (indeed I myself cringe to this very day on just how poor they truly are), so I focused instead on smoothing the simple transitions, and trying to create a "flow" within a rough narrative. I tried to make it fun in a manner that the game itself had me feeling, and with luck capture a little of its spirit. I was also fortunate in that my obstinate method of first person play at the time differed to most, and therefore allowed me to present something of a different flavor to what was then the early-days norm. Starting with rolling with the irony on the title itself.

On a related note, believe it or not I still have all my Dance War assets and keyframes saved, with the project sitting at 98% completion (as in the full movie release of the Ronald vs. Michael Jackson thing, for which I never really settled upon a name and only released a trailer), in tandem with a good 75% of Rocket Whore 2 done. All running off footage circa 2003. The only reason I've never completed them is... those assets were keyed and linked to an early version of premiere which I was never able to run on modern operating systems, and the newer versions of premiere are so vastly different I'd essentially have to “teach myself” to edit all over again and re-edit all the sequences from scratch. And unlike way back then... well, I'm an old’ish man now. Even the act of composing this very missive has necessitated lengthy moments of recuperation between paragraphs (I actually started this post 3 days ago).

Still, one day I'll likely start over with the base footage for my own damn piece of mind and stitch something together, however shabby it may be and however non-existent the audience. If nothing else it would serve as a neat time capsule of the state of the game nearer to infancy.

To this day SS:SE remains my all time fave FPS. Heck I still have all my demos, even the old FS stuff (may the lad ever RIP) along with the very first movie releases from guys like 9.99 and Execution. Just loved the game to bits. The sheer fragmatch freneticism was a veritable form of adrenaline unto itself.

Add me on PSN if anyone is still around (I am "Soggypathos").

[hollers at guide dog and hobbles away]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47S_de7yOss

Hello, the legend!
    So, does that mean that most of players already have been using 3rd person view in 2003? Couldn't even think about it. I've started in 2006 but I always was sure that for ~ two first years of Sam, 90 % of players were using 1st person (even good players, who have been clans members and considered as "pro"). Dunno why I was thinking like that, though.

Even if you'd even mind to delete RocketWhore from YT we still have the file uploaded here on GZ, and we would have not deleted it even by a request!

I also loved that much that M. Jackson vs McDonald comedy trailer when it's been released. I still wait for the release of it! : D

And remember: it's never late to release any goddamn thing. I've actually completed my second fragmovie in 2017, and 1 or 2 projects are still planned to be released somewhen.

Also, it's really awesome to hear that you've saved all the Sam files. I have all my files saved since 2010, and your files are almost two times more old... Impossible

Don't make it dusted and being a thing what only one person can watch at. Upload some of old movies for us someday please
    watch unimaginable [2012]
    watch magnificent [2017]
    wait for ? [202x]

solid as a rock, cold as ice and dark as the night (zeo) (c) amco 2023

Golden^_+Imperator

Downloads: 200  Uploads: 24

Amazing

*~>>Devils Ultimate d'Erektor<<~*

People who lead a very successful business, usually tend to have extremely low freetime which results in depressions.
    The only thing that matters is personal happines and health, money can destroy both.
    ~Amco 2016

It doesnt matter what you look like, or what stereotype you fulfill as long, as you're modest
    and respectful towards everyone, and feel comfortable about yourself.
    ~Amco 2020

post your screens? played yesterday? of today? no screens available? No screens of january? december 2022? november 2022? no played matches in sam? hm sad. just stay a "legend" on gz these days. inactive since decades or activ as "Alias" with vpn lol. ~Vyebani User 2023

[handshake]

Quote Originally Posted by Zeo View Post
    So, does that mean that most of players already have been using 3rd person view in 2003? Couldn't even think about it. I've started in 2006 but I always was sure that for ~ two first years of Sam, 90 % of players were using 1st person (even good players, who have been clans members and considered as "pro"). Dunno why I was thinking like that, though.

Don't make it dusted and being a thing what only one person can watch at. Upload some of old movies for us someday please
    No you have it right for the most part, that first half year I would put closer to 95% or more of the populace running in first person.

Throughout 2002 the first player who could really be found dominating in 3rd person was Ephemerion. Around December of that year Dangerous Dan then made the switch (in a game with MERC FASTway, as the two would often duel) and he shortly began to lay waste to all and sundry. Dan was good even in 1st person, but in 3rd during that period he became all but unstoppable. His win percentage was outrageous, and it really helped in forwarding the 3rd person movement, if you will. By the end of 2003 it was common knowledge, at least among clanners, that anyone not running in 3rd was just gimping themselves, and those not following suit actively chose to abstain for their own reasons, even if just for lack of caring. Remembering that the prime motivator for most was FUN. Certainly not the zero death sum that would later infest the game.

I myself always stuck with 1st person throughout the years. The game just looks and FEELS more kinetic in first. It feels faster. More testosteroney. More... dramatic. Try as I might I could never emulate that adrenal high in 3rd. As such I have extremely fond memories of that first year or two. I was a demo junkie, and used to love the 1st person duels between the top players of the time, at least those found on Slash's 1.07 servers (Bones, FS, Hammer in Yodeller, Machine, most of the MERCS, DD, the 3 Masters - Hurricane, Ultimate Warrior etc), then the following year or so when guys like GStar (AKA Slayer) joined the fray (or folks that got REALLY good in a big hurry, like Psycho Marz), most of whom initially played a high intensity first-person game (before inevitably switching to 3rd). Unfortunately there's also a bunch of greats I never go to "see" play, nor compete against, due to the time difference. More often than not I would dial in to what was approximately 5am for most of the fragging world. Also, well, I just never really had that much free time to play. Much easier to steal moments at work for a quick forum quip.

Sorry I was a little unclear there with the emphasis; my obstinate comment with regards to my own play differing to the norm was more to do with my insistence on looking for any and all reasons to launch myself into the air in search of the ultimate aerial takedown. In those early days I really didn't see anyone else playing this way; as Petter astutely pointed out, most would not have been aware you could do this, and indeed I was often accused of scripting or running some sort of flying bot, particularly by those not clan affiliated.

It wasn't so much the rocket per se that I loved, as much as looking for any and all opportunity to soar skyward for that elusive high altitude kill. Even in Rocket Whore there are plenty of instances where a simple grounded kill would have sufficed... but no, I wanted to do it all with spunk because that shit was FUN! I was never so much as playing to win as playing for that quick junkie hit of aerial ecstasy. Win or lose I played no other way, I had no Plan B, and god damn did it piss people off. Hence... perpetual abuse. Hence... perpetual aliases. Hence... the clear and obvious title of the film.

Frustratingly, I was always hampered by the fact I was dialing in to US servers from Sydney, Australia. This translated to a 380-500 ping and largely ruled out shotgun play (along with open maps like Hole, Red Station etc where the ping usually made them unplayable to me, a fact underlined by their general absence in the film). In Rocket Whore itself you can see some seemingly glaring misses with the shotty... where to my view they were direct hits. But I included these instances regardless because the point of the movie was not to show how badass one can be by stitching together random moments of manufactured greatness, but rather to revel in the craziness that is so uniquely Sam's, where anything goes and anything can happen to one and all, where fun can be had in even the mundane. This is emphasized by the opening kill of the movie, whereupon we find two duelists in Little Trouble - one with the SD no less - running around like headless chickens while some random openly camps above them trying to pick them off. I chose to run around the two in the middle and knife the clown up top. Was there anything at all skillful or remarkable about this? Hell no! But it cracked me up. That shit was hilarious to me and THAT was Sam in a nutshell! And thus for me the perfect way to open the film. But I get why peeps who don't play Sam, or only care about KD ratios, would look at that opening and other moments within the movie and be like, "why the F did you include that? That's in no way impressive nor anything worth showcasing." Whereupon one smiles and executes a nod of secret knowledge.

Anyway, I've seen your stuff Zeo, and it's always a treat. Truly it boggles my mind there is even one active server left. And Chyl, I've always known who you are in the movie (I still have the demo in fact), though I've always kept it to myself. [wink] We had a number of aliased rocket-heavy duels in those days, and they were fan-fuckin'-tastic. In fact, while aliased, I would very rarely speak, but the individual I was most accused of being… was ALWAYS Chyliniak. Because despite said aliases I was easy to spot to anyone who cared to marry my style and ping to the hour of the day, and of course Chyl used to likewise deal with heavy ping along with being one of those who could easily pull off similar moves, so it was a 50% bet half the time as to which of us it was. Thus I always considered it a compliment. And great memories, to be sure.

Anyway, cheers all. Boy do I miss the game, and talking all things Sam. Can you tell?
    Last edited by Pathos; 13.07.2018 at 01:54.

Golden^_+Imperator

Downloads: 200  Uploads: 24

Long story, thanks for sharing, Zeo will jump for joy
    If you have demos and other random files we'll be more than grateful to have them uploaded

*~>>Devils Ultimate d'Erektor<<~*

People who lead a very successful business, usually tend to have extremely low freetime which results in depressions.
    The only thing that matters is personal happines and health, money can destroy both.
    ~Amco 2016

It doesnt matter what you look like, or what stereotype you fulfill as long, as you're modest
    and respectful towards everyone, and feel comfortable about yourself.
    ~Amco 2020

post your screens? played yesterday? of today? no screens available? No screens of january? december 2022? november 2022? no played matches in sam? hm sad. just stay a "legend" on gz these days. inactive since decades or activ as "Alias" with vpn lol. ~Vyebani User 2023

Director

Downloads: 33  Uploads: 10

I'd reveal myself but as you've mentioned you kept it to yourself... let it be a 15 years old mystery
    Where r my 115e? and now we Have a Problem.
    -
    -----------------

GameZone24.net Forums founder. The Director since 2003

Bellatores

Downloads: 71  Uploads: 0

dayum you can write books tl;dr
    Wake up to reality
    Nothing ever goes as planned
    In this accursed world

The longer you live the more you will realise
    That the only things that truly exist in this reality
    Are merely pain, suffering and futility

The selfish intent to preserve peace initiates wars
    And hatred is born in order to protect love
    For truly this reality is a hell

Come, gather 'round children, and listen to ol' man Pathos' tales of yesteryear. Pathos has a great way with words. I always looked forward to his contributions to the MERC private forum posts back in the day, lol.

My "legacy," if you can call it that, is one of legends and whispers at this point. Heck, I don't even think there are any surviving screenshots of my wins archived anywhere.

Adding to the history, the Sam community was always divided by the Atlantic. Not just because of time zones, but because of terrible pings that came with North American vs European matches. Each side liked to claim they were really the better party, but there was no way to tell, since playing on the opposite server always garnered something less than playable like 300+ ping.

And thus the SS:TSE community was split. North American players flocked to Gamemecca, and European players congregated at GameZone24. This is my first login here in over 10 years! Perhaps the walls will break down one day. One day...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information