Welcome to the GameZone24.net Forums - Serious Sam.
    Campers Clan

Downloads: 59  Uploads: 5

[Tutorial] Record/Encode a video for youtube

Introduction: So here's my new tutorial to explain this very tricky thing that is to encode a video for youtube with the less quality loss possible. As you may have noticed, the videos recorded by Fraps are extremely huge, such ~30Gb for an uncompressed .avi file.
    This tutorial is made to help you to encode a video for youtube (fast upload of course) but not only, after encoding the original .avi file into H264 (.mp4) your video's size will be reduced from ~30Gb to ~500Mb only (depending the level of compression). So you can get rid of the heavy .avi and get back the place on your hard drive.

You will need several softwares:

Fraps: https://www.fraps.com/
    A little but very mighty tool to record whatever is happening onto your screen. I guess you will hardly find a better one.
    PM me to get the registered version.

Sony Vegas: https://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/vegaspro
    For video montage. Note that this software costs over 500€. PM me for further informations. Make sure to download the right version (32 or 64bit) depending of your current operating system. Some other alternatives to Vegas may exist.

Once you got everything, you can check the next steps

Step 1: Recording with Fraps

Fraps is the tool that you will use to record your in-game sequences. Almost everybody here knows how Fraps is working. It's pretty simple actually but still, let's take a little view on how this should be set (for the best video quality)

Only the "Movies" section is needed:
    Firstly, set a directory where you want your videos to be recorded, make sure have got enough free space on the HDD/SSD you will select (at least 100Gb).
    Then select your Video Capture Hotkey. This will obviously be the key you'll need to push to record a sequence. Make sure this key does not have a double function.
    Now check the Video Capture Settings: It should already be set on "Full-Size" and "60 fps".
    Note that if your computer doesn't handle it (huge performance loss when you start to record a sequence) you can set it to "Half-Size". If your computer is still not able to handle it, then... you have just lost your time reading my tutorial because you just CAN'T record anything at all (so don't read the rest!)
    Over that, set the Sound Capture Settings as you wish, and don't touch the rest of the options.

You're ready to record, sir!

Step 2: Encoding with Sony Vegas

Sorry... I'm too lazy to explain how to build a video but still, I will explain here how to export it!

So here we go: Once your movie is ready to be exported: Go to File and select "Render as"

Go onto the "render as" menu, make sure to select "Main Concept AAC/AVC" and "Internet HD 1080p".
    Click on custom and follow those steps:

1: Write "60" to set your video at 60fps (as it's been recorded to 60 fps, we will export it at 60 fps aswell).
    2: Uncheck this box (or not, that's up to you, after several tests I didn't notice any effect).
    3: This'll have the biggest influence on your rendering quality. Set 50 000 000 (50 000 Kbps) for a good quality (note that bigger you'll set the bitrate, bigger the final file size will be).
    4: Use the nVidia's CUDA (if available) for a perfect rendering without dirty pixels. Else, don't touch this field and it'll use the main CPU.

Don't forget to click on "Project" below and set the "Best" quality.

Rendered example:
    Set 1080p 60Hz

Last edited by Skyward; 21.06.2016 at 12:25.

Corsair - Asus - Razer - Beyerdynamic

Knife to meet you!

Downloads:Uploads: 0

Why nothing for after effects? :3

Devils Clan

Downloads: 66  Uploads: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Bullsh0t View Post
    Why nothing for after effects? :3
    I am wondering why

Pain in the ass

Campers Clan

This tuto is not on how to mount a video, it's about how to record and encode while keeping the best rendering quality. Will be completed today

Knife to meet you!

Downloads:Uploads: 0

Quote Originally Posted by CLICK View Post
    I am wondering why

Pain in the ass
    It's my program of choice

Campers Clan

updated 2/3.

Campers Clan

Completed!

Campers Clan

This is supposed to be the best bitrate settings for youtube... I guess if I encode to 50000kbps, the output file will be huge... to finally be destroyed again by this crap of youtube.. I'm still planning to test it though.

Campers Clan

50000kbps tested, and the final rendering is amazing. More you'll set it high, more the file will be heavy but the quality will be better on youtube.
    Though I tried higher values, the encode process seems to crash at some point.

Also:

if you record your video at 60fps, never encode it as double NTSC, because it's not proper 60fps it's 59.940fps. better manually set 60fps value in the field, otherwise it will tweak the rendering a little bit and the video will lose precision. Youtube automaticly converts the video to 30fps but better leave them to do it.
    Last edited by Skyward; 18.10.2014 at 13:53.

Campers Clan

Updated 10/08/2015 - 23h 23m

Thread Information