Welcome to the GameZone24.net Forums - Serious Sam.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Campers Clan

Downloads: 59  Uploads: 5

[Test] Skyward's mousepad reviews

I recently changed my mousepad (something I traditionally do whenever I change my mouse) and this time I went for a Zowie G-SR. I had many different mousepads these last years so let's do a review about these:

1) Zowie G-SR (amazon) [35€]
    SPOILER :

So this is my newest mousepad, and I love it! I was even surprised since I alctually dislike Zowie's mouses and highly disliked another of their mousepad which we will be talking about later below in this thread. Anyway, coming from a Death Adder Elite x Gigantus combo, I paired my new Logitech G Pro wireless to this G-SR and it goes just marvelously well together. This is what we could call a "speed" mousepad, the surface is cloth, it has low friction and high gliding sensation, however! it glides less than the Razer Gigantus, and it is precisely why it goes so well with the G Pro. The Death Adder is a bigger mouse and the wider feet gave it more friction, so to make it more comfortable without losing control, the best choice was obviously a Gigantus, a great surface very similar to the Steelseries QcK. But in the G Pro's case, the mouse is smaller, lighter and the feet are thiner, which reduced the friction quite significantly and by consequences the Gigantus gave the G Pro too much gliding and when I tried it in CS:GO, I dramatically lost control and accuracy (especially on higher sensitivites), I couldn't perform any headshot properly anymore.
    This G-SR mousepad fixed it by bringing an awesome cloth surface that gives less gliding than my previous Gigantus.

+ Surface quality, tracks perfectly and fits very light and smaller mouses
    + Surface durability, doesn't catch stains too much, easy to clean
    + Rubber quality, doesn't slide away the desk, is hard and is thick enough (4mm)
    + Border that prevents the pad from premature wear
    + Monochrome surface, makes sure jittering* does not happen

- I would personally have preferred it if it was a little bit bigger

*The jitter occurs when your mouse sensor does not recognize the surface, this is mostly caused by mousepads that has a pattern on it and it results your cursor to lag or jump pixels until your sensor catches the track again.

2) Razer Gigantus (amazon) [35€]
    SPOILER :

This was my previous mousepad. I've used two of them on a period of two years and they've always felt amazing. It is very similar to the Steelseries renowned QcK and it glides as much as the Goliathus Speed in my opinion, but it offers a different feeling that improves fast stop a bit, improving the flickshot performance - at least from my own experience. It matched my Death Adder Elite perfectly but smaller and lighter mouses may lose control and accuracy on it because it glides too much. I generally recommend to buy a mousepad from the same brand as your mouse because they are in general designed to fit together, Razer usually makes medium to large mouses only which is good for these surfaces.

+ Surface quality, tracks perfectly and fits medium to large mouses
    + Rubber quality, absolutely doesn't move at all on the desk, is hard and is thick enough (5mm)
    + Monochrome surface, makes sure jittering does not happen
    + Good size, big enough so you never miss a shot even with a low sens

- The surface cloth catches stains too easly and is not easy to clean
    - The big Razer logo on the pad makes this part of the surface unusable
    - The price can be much higher than what Amazon actually shows, which is too expensive for a cloth pad

3) Razer Goliathus Speed (amazon) [24€]
    SPOILER :

I have been using the Goliathus Speed (Large) for 8 years until Razer releases the Gigantus. This pad has been no failure for me and worked just fine with any mouse I ever had. When it's brand new the gliding lacks a bit of control though, but after several hours of use, it loses some gliding and you get that control you were missing before. This is the most polyvalent mousepad I have ever seen, available in 4 different sizes (the smaller having a quite attractive price) both being in Speed and Control versions. And for the RGB fanboys, they've even released a RGB version which is a premiere for a cloth mousepad. If you begin gaming and have no clue what mousepad fits your needs and mouse, thisone is the safest choice you can go for.

+ Rubber quality, absolutely doesn't move at all on the desk, is hard and is thick enough (3mm)
    + No jittering despite the pattern surface
    + Lot of sizes available
    + A pro standard for an attractive price

- Not very durable, when used too much it loses too much gliding, must be changed every 6 - 8 months

4) Steelseries QcK Heavy (amazon) [35€]
    SPOILER :

The QcK... i'm stepping on a big piece now. This mousepad is fairly the most renowned along the gaming industry and is also one of the most (if not the most) used mousepad on the professional scene. I personally had a QcK+ but I will rather talk about the Mass because it is the best one in my opinion (with the QcK+ Limited). The QcK comes with a lot of versions with different sizes and thicknesses, all sharing the same surface. The gliding feeling is close from the Gigantus and it improves flickshots with medium to large mouses. Thisone goes with the Razer Goliathus in terms of polyvalence and would also fit you weither you are a pro or a newbie. Cherry on the cake, if you are a casual gamer or you don't play low sens, smaller sizes are available at the most attractive price that you can possibly find. The QcK Mass remains a bit too thick, if you can get your hands on the QcK+ Limited then do it, it's 3mm thick and it features the border which is just perfect.

+ Rubber quality, absolutely doesn't move at all on the desk, is hard and is thick enough (6mm)
    + Lot of sizes available with different thicknesses
    + A pro standard for an attractive price for smaller versions

- Not very durable, when used too much it loses too much gliding, must be changed every 6 - 8 months
    - Catches stains, not easy to clean
    - Too thick (6mm) 3mm or 4mm would have been better, just like the QcK+ Limited
    - No border, it should be a standard (QcK+ Limited has one)

5) Roccat Taito (amazon) [25€]
    SPOILER :

If you hate Razer (because it's trendy) and are still looking for a polyvalent mousepad, you might aswell just go for the Taito. Available in 4 sizes aswell, the surface will match any mouse you will have. The gliding sensation is quite similar to the Goliathus and brings a monochrome surface. However, unlike its Control version, it does not feature the border which is supposed to be the new standard for any reliable mousepad. The surface may catch stains a little bit easier than some others aswell, but I consider its durability a bit better than the Goliathus.

+ Rubber quality, absolutely doesn't move at all on the desk, is hard and is thick enough (3mm)
    + Lot of sizes available
    + A pro standard for an attractive price
    + It's not Razer (if you belong to those who dislike them for biased reasons)

- No border, it should be the standard nowdays

6) Roccat Sense (amazon) [15€]
    SPOILER :

I've been using this mousepad for a short time in 2009, and 10 years later it's still the same (just like the Taito, Goliathus and QcK). The Sense has a weird surface in my opinion, it feels like plastified microfibre, a bit like a swimsuit. It was okay when I was using my old Roccat Kone [+] which was a fairly big mouse, and I was playing Serious Sam only. Nowdays I couldn't possibly imagine playing CS:GO with it, this is simply the fastest and the most gliding mousepad I have ever seen. I don't know who could use this mousepad for serious competitive gaming, maybe those using large mouses but you'd still need to love high gliding sensations, elsewise you wouldn't find enough control and accuracy on a demanding game such as Counter-Strike.

+ Still a decent choice for casual gaming with low budget
    + Now available in bigger size
    + Easy to clean, no stains

- Weird surface with maladjusted gliding for most of people
    - No border, it should be the standard nowdays
    - Too thin (2mm)

7) Zowie G TF-X (amazon) [40€]
    SPOILER :

What can I say about that thing... this is one of the worst mousepad I have ever seen. It is a sort of hybrid surface between plastic and fabric, it's textured just like a Control mousepad would be but it's gliding almost as fast as a Roccat Sense, who is this mousepad destined for??? On top of that, the surface comes brushed due to its packaging and even if you leave it one week under 2 tons of encyclopedias, the brush remains. Let's add that because of the brush, one part of the mousepad does not stick properly on the desk, which results the mousepad to slide away.

+ Easy to clean, doesn't catch stains
    + Two sizes available

- Awful surface that lacks control and matches nobody
    - Terrible design, comes brushed and there's no way to fix that
    - Unacceptable price for such a bad product

8) Cooler Master Storm Speed-RX
    SPOILER :

I said I would review the Cooler Master Speed-RX but i'm not gonna do it because this mousepad has a new version right now and it's called Swift-RX. I've never tried it so I wouldn't be able to talk objectively about it. However I can talk about its previous version: the Speed-RX was the worst mousepad I ever had. The cloth surface was a complete standard that you would find on any crappy 5€ mousepad. The rubber base was too flexible and didn't feel good, the pad did not have the border and over all, the surface started to fray after 2 weeks only. I had an issue with the CM Storm Mizar (mouse) and now I start to wonder if it wasn't the mousepad's fault considering its terrible design.

9) Cooler Master MP510 (amazon) [36€]
    SPOILER :

Bought thisone (XL size) as I was trying to find a replacement for my used Zowie G-SR. I'm following RocketJumpNinja, a known gaming mouse reviewer and Quake player who also tries numerous peripherals, including mousepads. It happens that he tested thisone and did recommend it and found it to be better than anything he had before, so I assumed it would be a good try. But it wasn't. Let's talk about this mousepad: it's one of these rough surfaces so called "control" for a better friction which helps having control with your mouse, which is especially useful for flickshotting game styles or snipers (like me). The fact is that they also made this pad waterproof, so they used a specific microfibre that glides way too much in my opinion. This supposed "control" mousepad gave me less than a G-SR nor a Gigantus. Disapointed, and the cherry on the cake, 2 days after I already had bubbles on the surface, the fibre getting off the rubber base.
    I did say CM had poor quality peripherals, but that was on fairly old products... i'm just sad to see they haven't improved a little.

+ Border (standard) and great rubber base
    + Waterproof, easy to clean
    + Relatively cheap considering all the surface and size
    + Logo is discrete and not bothering

- Bad size: the L is too small for low sens players, forces you to buy the XL with half an unecessary space.
    - Bad feeling and gliding: doesn't offer more control, is in fact much worse than plenty of reference flat fibers
    - Started to get worn after 2 days only...

10) Logitech G640 (amazon) [31€]
    SPOILER :

Nothing's perfect, but it can fit specific needs and this mousepad does it. At first it is surprising because it glides more than a G-SR (which was for me an absolute reference), althought I still feel the necessary control I need to perform in game. Though I had to adapt and reduce the sensitivity a little bit, a change I will surely undo when the mousepad will start getting worn and lose a bit of gliding. easy adaptation, good gliding and control, faster moves and still more control than a Gigantus. Many people in comments complained about some jittering, I can't possibly see how this could happen... wait and see, i'll be back there in few months for news. Convincing product for me, new main.

+ Good size and thickness (same as G-SR), even tho i'd love a little bit bigger... again
    + Good surface, logo is a bit too big but doesn't bother if placed below on the right
    + Great rubber base
    + Available in many other sizes

- 2019 and Logitech still don't know about the borders...
    - Blue rubber base, visible due to lack of border, not for all tastes.
    - Bit too expensive, but on the average range with its concurrence.

Last edited by Skyward; 01.09.2019 at 17:39.

Corsair - Asus - Razer - Beyerdynamic

Campers Clan

Ok I finished reviewing all the mousepads I had. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I may try more mousepads later especially from Logitech.

Campers Clan

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    Ok I finished reviewing all the mousepads I had. Don't hesitate to ask questions, I may try more mousepads later especially from Logitech.
    Done. Two new quick reviews available. I say quick review because it's all based on my personnal experience and feeling, I don't go under a whole testing protocol since plenty of people on the net are doing it far better than me. Althought opinions always differs, and i'm not sold for giving a biased opinion

Bellatores

Downloads: 71  Uploads: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    Done. Two new quick reviews available. I say quick review because it's all based on my personnal experience and feeling, I don't go under a whole testing protocol since plenty of people on the net are doing it far better than me. Althought opinions always differs, and i'm not sold for giving a biased opinion
    personal*

__
    your grammar nazi.
    Wake up to reality
    Nothing ever goes as planned
    In this accursed world

The longer you live the more you will realise
    That the only things that truly exist in this reality
    Are merely pain, suffering and futility

The selfish intent to preserve peace initiates wars
    And hatred is born in order to protect love
    For truly this reality is a hell

Golden^_+Imperator

Downloads: 200  Uploads: 24

Zowie G-SR souns like it's most durable and all, the size isn't a problem for me, i wonder if it glides as good as asus echelon which i have now

*~>>Devils Ultimate d'Erektor<<~*

People who lead a very successful business, usually tend to have extremely low freetime which results in depressions.
    The only thing that matters is personal happines and health, money can destroy both.
    ~Amco 2016

It doesnt matter what you look like, or what stereotype you fulfill as long, as you're modest
    and respectful towards everyone, and feel comfortable about yourself.
    ~Amco 2020

post your screens? played yesterday? of today? no screens available? No screens of january? december 2022? november 2022? no played matches in sam? hm sad. just stay a "legend" on gz these days. inactive since decades or activ as "Alias" with vpn lol. ~Vyebani User 2023

Director

Downloads: 33  Uploads: 10

You don't need to change mousepad when it loses glide. Usually it does so because of fat and moisture from your hands. The simplest solution is to clean it under warm water with some hair shampoo using your hand or a dish-cleaning sponge. Always worked on my ex A4tech Bloody B-070 Pad. Since few days I've been using HyperX Fury S (XL 450x400 size) - the newest version with braided borders and I like it more. First of all it's bigger than A4tech b-070, it's also smoother. I feel more control when doing slow and fast flickshots. The mouse stops where it should and it works alot better than B-070 when using CM Storm Alcor with Avago 3090 sensor. I don't feel negative accel like I did on b-070. On hyperx it tracks much better.

I also tested Logitech G430 with a modern sensor and it worked nicely on B-070, but felt too responsive. I wonder how it feels on HyperX, probably gonna test it during the incoming xmas.
    Where r my 115e? and now we Have a Problem.
    -
    -----------------

GameZone24.net Forums founder. The Director since 2003

Golden^_+Imperator

Downloads: 200  Uploads: 24

Quote Originally Posted by HeLLspAWn View Post
    I also tested Logitech G430 with a modern sensor and it worked nicely on B-070, but felt too responsive. I wonder how it feels on HyperX, probably gonna test it during the incoming xmas.

*~>>Devils Ultimate d'Erektor<<~*

People who lead a very successful business, usually tend to have extremely low freetime which results in depressions.
    The only thing that matters is personal happines and health, money can destroy both.
    ~Amco 2016

It doesnt matter what you look like, or what stereotype you fulfill as long, as you're modest
    and respectful towards everyone, and feel comfortable about yourself.
    ~Amco 2020

post your screens? played yesterday? of today? no screens available? No screens of january? december 2022? november 2022? no played matches in sam? hm sad. just stay a "legend" on gz these days. inactive since decades or activ as "Alias" with vpn lol. ~Vyebani User 2023

Campers Clan

9) Cooler Master MP510 (amazon) [36€]
    SPOILER :

Bought thisone (XL size) as I was trying to find a replacement for my used Zowie G-SR. I'm following RocketJumpNinja, a known gaming mouse reviewer and Quake player who also tries numerous peripherals, including mousepads. It happens that he tested thisone and did recommend it and found it to be better than anything he had before, so I assumed it would be a good try. But it wasn't. Let's talk about this mousepad: it's one of these rough surfaces so called "control" for a better friction which helps having control with your mouse, which is especially useful for flickshotting game styles or snipers (like me). The fact is that they also made this pad waterproof, so they used a specific microfibre that glides way too much in my opinion. This supposed "control" mousepad gave me less than a G-SR nor a Gigantus. Disapointed, and the cherry on the cake, 2 days after I already had bubbles on the surface, the fibre getting off the rubber base.
    I did say CM had poor quality peripherals, but that was on fairly old products... i'm just sad to see they haven't improved a little.

+ Border (standard) and great rubber base
    + Waterproof, easy to clean
    + Relatively cheap considering all the surface and size
    + Logo is discrete and not bothering

- Bad size: the L is too small for low sens players, forces you to buy the XL with half an unecessary space.
    - Bad feeling and gliding: doesn't offer more control, is in fact much worse than plenty of reference flat fibers
    - Started to get worn after 2 days only...

10) Logitech G640 (amazon) [31€]
    SPOILER :

Nothing's perfect, but it can fit specific needs and this mousepad does it. At first it is surprising because it glides more than a G-SR (which was for me an absolute reference), althought I still feel the necessary control I need to perform in game. Though I had to adapt and reduce the sensitivity a little bit, a change I will surely undo when the mousepad will start getting worn and lose a bit of gliding. easy adaptation, good gliding and control, faster moves and still more control than a Gigantus. Many people in comments complained about some jittering, I can't possibly see how this could happen... wait and see, i'll be back there in few months for news. Convincing product for me, new main.

+ Good size and thickness (same as G-SR), even tho i'd love a little bit bigger... again
    + Good surface, logo is a bit too big but doesn't bother if placed below on the right
    + Great rubber base
    + Available in many other sizes

- 2019 and Logitech still don't know about the borders...
    - Blue rubber base, visible due to lack of border, not for all tastes.
    - Bit too expensive, but on the average range with its concurrence.

VPN Elite

Downloads: 31  Uploads: 0

can i put my mousepad into a washing machine? anyone tried yet ? xd

hm sad. just stay a "legend" on gz these days. inactive since decades or activ as "Alias" with vpn lol.

elus1veness

Downloads: 781  Uploads: 58

Quote Originally Posted by AmcoTraD View Post
    can i put my mousepad into a washing machine? anyone tried yet ? xd
    Hahah I've just tried it a few weeks ago for the first time and it was worth it, an awesome effect (my mousepads are extra cheap but have stitched borders) Just don't get afraid it's not gonna be that flat for the first 24 hours
    watch unimaginable [2012]
    watch magnificent [2017]
    wait for ? [202x]

solid as a rock, cold as ice and dark as the night (zeo) (c) amco 2023

Campers Clan

you can put your mousepad in the wash machine if max accuracy is not your priority (given your mousepad is waterproof). If you care about your surface, you should clean it with a washcloth and a little bit of soap

Veteran Member

Downloads: 86  Uploads: 0

Hi guys! In old days when I played crazy game Serious Sam, I had two mouspad, Razer eXactMat X speed (https://www.razer.ru/media/gallery/2...ctmat_lrg2.jpg) and a 1030 Surface Archetype from Func Industries (https://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIm...114-306-01.jpg). Both dual-sided for speed and control. And I think both are better than any modern ones .

elus1veness

Downloads: 781  Uploads: 58

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHF View Post
    Hi guys! In old days when I played crazy game Serious Sam, I had two mouspad, Razer eXactMat X speed (https://www.razer.ru/media/gallery/2...ctmat_lrg2.jpg) and a 1030 Surface Archetype from Func Industries (https://c1.neweggimages.com/NeweggIm...114-306-01.jpg). Both dual-sided for speed and control. And I think both are better than any modern ones .
    First post since 2007
    watch unimaginable [2012]
    watch magnificent [2017]
    wait for ? [202x]

solid as a rock, cold as ice and dark as the night (zeo) (c) amco 2023

Campers Clan

Quote Originally Posted by AlexHF View Post
    I used to buy an Exactmat back in 2008 or 2009 to play with a first gen Death Adder, the sensor was unable to track on these surfaces lol. I'd be unable to play with those mousepads because they're way too small for my low sens game style, in addition hard surfaces offers poor feeling and uses the mouse feet faster than a cloth pad.

May still be good if you need extreme gliding sensations but you'll have 0 control (and control side only brings a different feeling, not more control).

Veteran Member

Downloads: 86  Uploads: 0

That's right, old DeathAdder had sensor failure on many plastic, glass and aluminum mousepad. I think it was the sensor problem. I used a Razer Diamondback, holding it with my fingers, with a small amplitude of motion. It wasn't that bad. But now I think that small amplitude of mouse movements with a high level of sensitivity is a mistake. Especially considering the loss of my skills. You saw it yourself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information