Welcome to the GameZone24.net Forums - Serious Sam.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    elus1veness

Downloads: 781  Uploads: 58

One question about SS history

Hello everyone, I guess SS history is very interesting thing for new or just non-veterans players, for me it is either. Well, I think everyone knows when Sam was starting, players were playing with pups, cannons, it was free and noone has argued with that. But as we can see for the moment, pups and cannon ain't fair things, fair players play without that.

So, here my question goes: who has offered the rule not to play with pups and cannon and when? 2003? 2004? I hope some old players must still remember that. Thanks!
    watch unimaginable [2012]
    watch magnificent [2017]
    wait for ? [202x]

solid as a rock, cold as ice and dark as the night (zeo) (c) amco 2023

Administrator

Downloads:Uploads: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zeo View Post
    Hello everyone, I guess SS history is very interesting thing for new or just non-veterans players, for me it is either. Well, I think everyone knows when Sam was starting, players were playing with pups, cannons, it was free and noone has argued with that. But as we can see for the moment, pups and cannon ain't fair things, fair players play without that.

So, here my question goes: who has offered the rule not to play with pups and cannon and when? 2003? 2004? I hope some old players must still remember that. Thanks!
    not me i liked pup's
    -)C(- [D])R(.{~](M[O}[R]{P}H}E{U{S] -)C(-

Lyrical Master

As far as I heard some 1.07 players ( gamemmeca ) decided to stop allowing the use of power-ups in their servers. And 1.05 guys followed it. I don't know who they are exactly, Nitro Chyl Steve should be able to answer that

|Limited Edition|

Downloads: 12  Uploads: 0

ye, I really want to use pups sometimes they seem cool

Sig made by DEXTRONIC

My best Mate Jackal (is gay)

*Seen someone hacking/cheating/being gay in Noobzland Server? PM with demo, name, and time *

VPN Elite

Downloads: 31  Uploads: 0

when i started playin late in december 2005 i was using pups all the time, i thought its a part of the game so why not after i played a few days players started callin me "noob" "loser" "pupnoob" and i had no idea why

but hell yeah its an interesting question

hm sad. just stay a "legend" on gz these days. inactive since decades or activ as "Alias" with vpn lol.

|Limited Edition|

Downloads: 12  Uploads: 0

Quote Originally Posted by AmcoTr9D View Post
    when i started playin late in december 2005 i was using pups all the time, i thought its a part of the game so why not after i played a few days players started callin me "noob" "loser" "pupnoob" and i had no idea why

lmao i remember the first time i also started deathmatch.
    I always went for the pups and When i saw people saying "Perfect aim you suck" "you pupper" i had no fuckin idea what they meant. Hell i didn't even know how to Talk in the game I figured out a couple of weeks after

Sig made by DEXTRONIC

My best Mate Jackal (is gay)

*Seen someone hacking/cheating/being gay in Noobzland Server? PM with demo, name, and time *

|Limited Edition|

Downloads: 21  Uploads: 91

i think it was sirc who first came up with this idea. then a few people played without pups and enjoyed it much more so they decided to stop using pups altogether.
    but i had many fun games with pups and cannon too
    Phantom|Limited Edition|

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Zeo View Post

All the "good players" didn't use cannon back then. I never used it when I played with my tag... Neither did any other skilled players.

And ***Jsaf*** was a cannon n00b back then just like nikzh now. :jsaf:

But we used pups..

Yes this "no pups" thing definitely came from 1.07 and GM dudes. And it's way better this way.
    Stifmeister -)Campers(-

"Empty-net goals are for homos."
    ~ Al Iafrate

Elite Member

If you like history I'll give you a book..
    When I started dec 2002, pups were never used in 07, but always in 05. I remember after playing 6 months (summer 2003) I couldn't understand why pups were so totally abused by most players in 05, it didn't make sense (many players used to time the sd a few times in a map to make sure to win), and I remember asking myself why the hell people in 05 didn't apply to this unwritten rule. I remember I tried to stop use them in 05 that summer, but that also made it hard or impossible to win a game if a few good player were around. There were others who did the same thing, like Markus, Elaina and forgot others. Thinking about it I can't recall ever to have seen ~serious to have touched one but I must be wrong, lol. Anyway, soon after this I remember finding myself in a fortress server alone with chyl, and when I saw him with SD I thought wtf and shot at him but he said "hell don't shoot.. SD" and so it slowly became a rule only if there were like 2-4 players in a server that 'good' players didn't use pups. I think it took at least another year from that before it became the standard to never use pups, maybe around summer 2004 or even a little later. And from that point, it took additionally a few years before some long term players stoped to use pups. Some just refused to stop use them, and surley I can understand this.. coz I thought myself that it was hilarious to use invis and invul especially when playing with noobs.. u know what I mean.. attacking without shooting at a noob who uses rockets always ends up with him blowing himself away etc.. and invis hilarious to hide with a minigun and fire at people. The only thing that made it crap was that the level of competition in Sam was so high that they very soon became abused with timing. I remeber argumenting a lot as observer in ru when people used sd.. like "only noobs use pups" etc

Actually it makes no sense to tell someone not to use pups or canon. Many players only play sam coz of their beloved canon, and maybe some players love the pup thing. Surley many players quit playing too, due to these rules.

|Limited Edition|

Powerups were used like in any other game, such as UT and Q3A. However, after 1.07 patch came out, later on in around early 2003, there began an anti-powerup campaign started on the Gamemecca forums, since this was an easy way for a few activists to get their views across and instill them on the entire community. This rule had nothing to do with cheating or hacking, but to create a rediculous rule to not use something that the game developers purposely put into the maps. Pretty soon, everyone began being called a smurf if they used the invulnerability powerup, sd noob or invis noob, or pupboy for general namecalling. Chyl, however Petter, would use powerups like it's in style back in 2005 (in 1.05, of course) so I don't know what you're talking about

But back in the day, we all timed powerups and knew how long they took to respawn and all the "legends" of the day did this and won using these techniques. In the last few years, so many other "rules" have popped up that I of course could care less about and probably would do the opposite of what the rule said just to piss them off to show they how stupid of a rule it is lol

hope that helps

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hotti View Post
    Powerups were used like in any other game, such as UT and Q3A. However, after 1.07 patch came out, later on in around early 2003, there began an anti-powerup campaign started on the Gamemecca forums, since this was an easy way for a few activists to get their views across and instill them on the entire community. This rule had nothing to do with cheating or hacking, but to create a rediculous rule to not use something that the game developers purposely put into the maps. Pretty soon, everyone began being called a smurf if they used the invulnerability powerup, sd noob or invis noob, or pupboy for general namecalling. Chyl, however Petter, would use powerups like it's in style back in 2005 (in 1.05, of course) so I don't know what you're talking about

But back in the day, we all timed powerups and knew how long they took to respawn and all the "legends" of the day did this and won using these techniques. In the last few years, so many other "rules" have popped up that I of course could care less about and probably would do the opposite of what the rule said just to piss them off to show they how stupid of a rule it is lol

hope that helps

Ace Gamer

Back in 2002 you would still get called a noob for using pups.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hotti View Post

hope that helps
    It's not ridiculous rule, it's great.

I've played a lot with pups and without pups and the game is better without... Tighter, fairer... It sucks that if you have a good Rolex (= you are good at timing pups) you win easily even if you don't have skills. One name that comes to my mind is Highlander... He was a very sh1tty player without pups (no offense) but his awesome timing helped him to win rounds every now and then.
    Stifmeister -)Campers(-

"Empty-net goals are for homos."
    ~ Al Iafrate

LIFE BAN ME BASTARDS

i never used pups i swear

:o

Quote Originally Posted by AmcoTr9D View Post

Yea I remember, Villains The Chief and red station/yodler if I remember right
    Devastator Owns

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information