Welcome to the GameZone24.net Forums - Serious Sam.
    |Limited Edition|

Downloads: 21  Uploads: 91

Exclamation New Zealand forgets to name islands for 200 years

New Zealand forgets to name islands for 200 years

You'd think that knowing the names of the major parts of your own country would be fairly simple to get right - but authorities in New Zealand were surprised to discover that their country's two main islands weren't called what they thought they were.
    In fact, it turned out they didn't have names at all.

New Zealand's picturesque North Island - or, to give it its official name, ' '.

Experts who were looking into possible alternative Maori names for New Zealand's two main islands were startled to find their English names - North Island and South Island - were never made legal.

The board had spent several years exploring a process for formally recognizing alternative Maori names for each island before they noticed that the islands had never been formally given English names either, board chairman Don Grant said.

'While researching this issue, we noted that "North Island" and "South Island" are actually not official names under our legislation, despite their common long-term usage,' Grant said.

To repair the 200-year-old oversight, the country's Geographic Board said it would take steps to legally name the two islands, which make up more than 95 percent of New Zealand's land area.

The New Zealand Geographic Board assigns, approves, alters or discontinues the use of place names for land features, undersea features and protected areas in New Zealand, its offshore islands and its continental shelf and in the Ross Sea region of Antarctica.

South Island, the larger of the pair, is also known locally as 'the Mainland,' while North Island, where three-quarters of the population lives, is also called 'Pig Island,' partly for the wild pigs that English explorer James Cook brought during a visit and that still roam in the wilderness.
    kinda hard to believe that more than 95% of the country didnt have a name..

maybe i should make a proposal to name the island "Phantom Island"
    sounds great, right? an island named after myself

imagine Great Britain wouldnt have a name either..on which island would england then be.. i would name it monkey island
    Phantom|Limited Edition|

|Limited Edition|

Downloads: 21  Uploads: 91

for those who dont get the monkey island joke as its more of a german usage i think https://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3093102AAyBe8l
    Phantom|Limited Edition|

Administrator

Downloads:Uploads: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    kinda hard to believe that more than 95% of the country didnt have a name..

maybe i should make a proposal to name the island "Phantom Island"
    sounds great, right? an island named after myself

imagine Great Britain wouldnt have a name either..on which island would england then be.. i would name it monkey island

How the fvck did they suddenly figure it out now after 200 years..

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    for those who dont get the monkey island joke as its more of a german usage i think https://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3093102AAyBe8l
    Stifmeister -)Campers(-

"Empty-net goals are for homos."
    ~ Al Iafrate

Thread Information