Welcome to the GameZone24.net Forums - Serious Sam.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Dude

Downloads:Uploads: 0

Serious Email Compain

Sup dudes..

Here is the idea i came up with ...
    it might be good it might be nothing...

Sam community is shrinking since Game Spy gave up on us....
    Year after - yea ...some players are still playing but majority is lost...

According to my stats ...in 2012 ...there were 46,000+ unique players... (in whole year)
    now we have only 6000+....and if we trully unify this number ...we are down to just 4000-5000 ...unique...
    but thats not what i'm trying to say...

There are 2 largest sites - SeriousZone and GameZone...the oldest forums of serious sam community
    each one has many registered players....

The idea is to collect every inactive email ...and invite them back to sam game ...saying:
    ".....We do have the solution for missing gamespy server... one can choose to patch ...or download steam version that would work with existing master server.....or something like that..."

I know - it is too far fetched ... some emails may not even exist...people move ...etc....
    but it is still a better chance than randomly posting adds about sam ....(Oben once proposed it ...to create an Ad compain ... to invite people....)

I've already contacted Leuva-Deus (the owner of SeriousZone) and got sort of positive answer.
    Now i'm asking the frag community of GZ. to support it...

In order to invite someone ...there got to be something to invite to ...ofcoz...
    Louva may come up with some event ...or we can organize something on our own ...doesnt mater...
    If ...IF ..this would kick off. - all we would need is the emails from all forums ....(inactive users...no spammers ofcoz

So...
    What i'm asking is everyone in this community to switch the "thinking" tumbler ON ...and...
    and post an idea for an event nobody would be able to say No...

Not only frags ...event must include both frag and coop games.
    ....... Always Look On The Bright Side of Life

Advanced Membury

Downloads: 52  Uploads: 0

Good idea, a lot of people might still be using the E-Mails they registered with or at least have them forwarded to their new E-Mail address. Would be a cool way to bring back some people at least for a while Also should send out E-Mails to the inactive guys on GameMecca.net.

The Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Barktooth View Post
    Good idea, a lot of people might still be using the E-Mails they registered with or at least have them forwarded to their new E-Mail address. Would be a cool way to bring back some people at least for a while Also should send out E-Mails to the inactive guys on GameMecca.net.

Cool ...i'm not familiar with GameMecca ... but i'll try to contact the admins later today...
    every little bit counts

VPN Elite

Downloads: 31  Uploads: 0

well i came up with the idea of playing lately, joined a server (guess it was yours) and had horrible lags, huge ping and my mouse movements had a sigifficant delay

this thread is not about me i know but what if those who you try to invite encounter similar issues?
    This doesn't make the game attractive to me atm

(it can be my internet tho, your servers used to be great for me)

hm sad. just stay a "legend" on gz these days. inactive since decades or activ as "Alias" with vpn lol.

Campers Clan

Downloads: 60  Uploads: 5

Quote Originally Posted by AmcoTraD View Post
    my mouse movements had a sigifficant delay
    That's what i've been saying for a long time, when you try the newest games that uses the proper raw input mouse, you just can't play the old ss anymore as the delay makes the experience so horrible. The only way to fix this it to switch to the first person (but it won't improve anything due to the annoying red screen. Well we can still use the DLL thing to remove it, but it was considered as a cheat as far as I remember so..)

Anyway, GameMecca is dead since a long time, and most of people who left the GameZone24.net forums did it since quite a long time, not due to the GameSpy's shutdown (yet most of them were even far away when I joined the game in august 2007). I mean, the 46K unique players we used to have in 2012 were certainly not those old players who left our community years ago. That means I highly doubt that we'll be able to bring anyone back by spreading a global invitation mail. Sadly.

I like the idea though, but we'll have to find another way.

Advanced Membury

Downloads: 52  Uploads: 0

The mouse input was always horrible in Sam, that's why I've always played in first person view It's because with sharp turning off the mouse input is tied to tickrate rather than framerate, and that introduces a 50ms delay.

But yea, it's true that a lot of the players we had in 2012 were probably some randoms who don't know about GameZone. But even the people who left in 2007 might still enjoy to come back for a while and feel the nostalgia

Director

Downloads: 33  Uploads: 10

A year ago or two I've sent 2 or 3 mass e-mails regarding Serious Sam Revolution, that it has been finally released, posted it's features, where to download it and so on. Some fragmatch players tried it and and after a few matches uninstalled immediately due to dozens of bugs (including the mouse delay bug when the ping reached 50+ms, which is a normal thing in Serious Sam). That was due to cl_bPrediction=0 set as default in Rev. Many noobs joined the servers and said: "I can't even move, what is this?" and left...

Newcomers don't give a single shit about installing dlls or patches or find and enter ip addresses just because it's the only way to play online. There are many modern games with coop and no bugs, so why would they even care to try Serious Sam again?

Allthough the idea to organize a huge online meeting is pretty interesting and I'd give it a try but don't expect people to come back to Serious Sam and play regularly. If anyone participates in the meeting, 95% of these players won't play any further after meeting is over. It's just a short-term solution. That's my assumption.
    Where r my 115e? and now we Have a Problem.
    -
    -----------------

GameZone24.net Forums founder. The Director since 2003

Campers Clan

That's right, people shall get over the fact that the game is finally dead. Organizing meetings casually remains a good idea, even tho most of us will no longer play at the same level as before, it'll still be fun

VPN Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    That's what i've been saying for a long time, when you try the newest games that uses the proper raw input mouse, you just can't play the old ss anymore as the delay makes the experience so horrible. The only way to fix this it to switch to the first person (but it won't improve anything due to the annoying red screen. Well we can still use the DLL thing to remove it, but it was considered as a cheat as far as I remember so..)
    so this is a windows10 thing?

its as Jay says, im not gonna put any effort into changing settings or modyfing the game just to feel nostalgic... indeed

hm sad. just stay a "legend" on gz these days. inactive since decades or activ as "Alias" with vpn lol.

Campers Clan

so this is a windows10 thing?

its as Jay says, im not gonna put any effort into changing settings or modyfing the game just to feel nostalgic... indeed
    Where did I talk about windows 10? The same issue occurs on every system, Serious Sam is an old game and it has its defaults, read Barktooth's post where he explained the whole thing, and there's actually nothing we can do to fix this.
    Angelo did put the raw input mouse in SS revo, but anyway the necode is still the same garbage it has been, so...

Gospodski

Downloads: 165  Uploads: 0

Meta gey
    Last edited by Pheonix; 29.11.2015 at 13:33. Reason: sori but jebiga u r gey

elus1veness

Downloads: 781  Uploads: 58

Strange thing but Revo feels absolutely same for me, instead of sharp turning which is still on by default (I can be wrong though). I had no mouse lags, I had no lags in some servers, for an example I had a totally clear and smooth ping on TankisT's home server which hosts in Ufa which is 1300 kms from Moscow and where in original TSE 1.07 I had a huge lags:

About Ostap's idea: Chyl is right, we have already done the same thing when Revolution's early access released or was close to. It didn't help for long, it's impossible to go back in time (unfortunately), I'm a dreamer too though and I still think that something can happen to make it real.

Even if Revolution failed hard, imo it has more chances to live for more long, but it should become totally lagfree, being supported 24/24 by active servers & events and maybe becoming free.

For the original TSE - there are two ways to bring deathmatch players back. The first is organizing tournaments for a real money, we just need to find investors If I was rich I'd do it, but I can't, very unfortunately. In UT2004, a year ago there was the first tournament in years where the prize for 1st place was around 1k $ and guess what ? Even for such a prize (totally funny comparing to Dota 2 / LoL / CS GO championships ) a lot of old players came back (for a while). The second reason is probably finnishing our Serious Tournament Mod which will have bots playable online in servers, also becoming lagfree. But it can be possible only when the source code will be released.

Ok, there could be third if someone buys GameSpy servers and turns it ON again.

So - it's pretty useless to e-mail everyone just for nothing. Something BIG should happen again, and we should inform people then.
    watch unimaginable [2012]
    watch magnificent [2017]
    wait for ? [202x]

solid as a rock, cold as ice and dark as the night (zeo) (c) amco 2023

The Dude

well i came up with the idea of playing lately, joined a server (guess it was yours) and had horrible lags, huge ping and my mouse movements had a sigifficant delay

this thread is not about me i know but what if those who you try to invite encounter similar issues?
    This doesn't make the game attractive to me atm

(it can be my internet tho, your servers used to be great for me)

Weird ... second time i host in germany ...and second time everyone complains about lag...
    Well ...next place i'll try to move the server will be Moscow....

VPN Elite

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    Where did I talk about windows 10? The same issue occurs on every system, Serious Sam is an old game and it has its defaults, read Barktooth's post where he explained the whole thing, and there's actually nothing we can do to fix this.
    Angelo did put the raw input mouse in SS revo, but anyway the necode is still the same garbage it has been, so...
    This is wrong, i had no problems on Windows 7.
    Just since i am using Win10....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Zeo View Post
    For the original TSE - there are two ways to bring deathmatch players back. The first is organizing tournaments for a real money, we just need to find investors If I was rich I'd do it, but I can't, very unfortunately. In UT2004, a year ago there was the first tournament in years where the prize for 1st place was around 1k $ and guess what ? Even for such a prize (totally funny comparing to Dota 2 / LoL / CS GO championships ) a lot of old players came back (for a while). The second reason is probably finnishing our Serious Tournament Mod which will have bots playable online in servers, also becoming lagfree. But it can be possible only when the source code will be released.

Ok, there could be third if someone buys GameSpy servers and turns it ON again.

So - it's pretty useless to e-mail everyone just for nothing. Something BIG should happen again, and we should inform people then.
    even for a total ss fantic like you this sounds really absurd...

money is the last aspect for an active community to play a certain game, a working game + working servers are the fundamental basements for this.. nothing else...

- a working reliable game? error
    - playable servers? error (sorry ostap)

there is no way, even Angelo realised the truth and doesn't pay attention anymore

(besides that i needed ages to google how to patch current 1.07 to view servers)

Director

Downloads: 33  Uploads: 10

The only way is to move to Quake Live and enjoy.
    Where r my 115e? and now we Have a Problem.
    -
    -----------------

GameZone24.net Forums founder. The Director since 2003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information