Welcome to the GameZone24.net Forums - Serious Sam.

Downloads:Uploads: 0

Lightbulb [QUESTION] Gathering some information about DM maps for a future project!

Okaaaaay hello guys!

You guys made me want to work on a DM map pack and I've been thinking since some days to play some custom DM maps with you, deathmatch veterans!

So, I want to bring something really new with the DM maps. My project is already started and contains for now 3 deathmatch maps.

I want to bring any style, kind and size of maps (from duel maps (2-5 players), medium-sized maps (5-8), to wide/deep/large ones for 8+ players).

I'd like to gather some informations about what kind of layout you would like to see (Wide and deep like hole? Trick jumps and dynamic maps like LT? Closed maps like TLT?). Bring your ideas! Any idea is welcome. Also what weapons do you like the most? Maps contain atm shotties, RL, GL, sniper, lasergun, tommygun and one map has a flamer (lame weapon yeah xD). Not sure about using the canon because really unbalanced weapon! I'm not sure about using pups neither. Anyway debate here!

I want this project to be quite big. I'm thinking for the first release to have around 7-8 maps we could play on games. With future volumes containing the same amount of maps.

Of course this kind of projects take time (still less time than coop campaigns hopefully, some small DM maps can be done in 1 day), but yeah I'm not so much into Serious Editor (SED) these days because of life stuff you know! Though I like to open SED after a big day of work! That's how I made my 3rd map yesterday, in one afternoon and polished it today!

Anyway, for now I'm only doing FFA maps. It would be nice also to have an advanced DM mod (WORKING IN MP PROPERLY, and maybe having auto map rotation cause it's so cool) so I could design some CTF maps. I really like CTF and it's something I miss in Sam.

Also I give really much importance about gameplay (more than visuals). The maps have some nice trick jumps (sniper tested them), I'm putting my best for making maps balanced and also performance is an important point. I don't want maps to have low fps even on potato pc's - hopefully for that I have a really weak laptop on which I could test the maps!

Thank you for your ideas and for reading me! Hope we're gonna play this all in the end!

Typically the kind of map I will bring (textures are not mine and everything will be credited at release):

Director

Downloads: 33  Uploads: 10

Too many variables to describe but if you want to make a competitive DM map - focus on Little Trouble, The Lost Tomb, Sun Palace, Yodeller. I don't count any other maps because they're pretty unbalanced for duels. Making a competitive DM map is very tricky, you have to take many variables into consideration. Then after making alpha, skilled players should check it and make their own thoughts what to change/fix for the possible final version.

1. The main weapons: Double Shotgun, Rockets, Grenades, Minigun/sniper eventually. Also some different weapons like tommygun or Single Barrel Shoutgun should be added in less relevant spots.
    2. Supers should be added on Little Trouble sized maps, if the map is smaller, it's enough to add +100 health aka super and +100 armor (not super, but semi-super). You can try the trick with +200 armor only and no +100 health, but you'd need to think how to balance this.
    3. Make supers in two separate places, so a player cant get both easily.
    4. Focus on possibility to trick jump (but it cant be hard to do, just like LT).
    5. The map should have some open spaces and tighter spaces (like LT or the lost tomb)
    6. You need to take respawn spots in consideration. This is a tricky part to make the map balanced.
    7. The map should be balanced overally - you should check out Quake Live competitive duel maps for instance and see how the things work there (supers allocation, respawn times, weapon allocation and overall map layout (I don't mean graphics here ofc, just how it's built that it's balanced).

There is a map I checked out actually and the layout was nice, but just no supers like +100 health and at least +100 armor, the overall health/armor "amount and size" fucked up, no grenades and some other minor stuff to fix but it could be a nice competitive duel map:

Perse Palace.

It somehow reminds me of Quake 3 duel map, but it has a huge potential especially if the things which I stated above were fixed.
    Where r my 115e? and now we Have a Problem.
    -
    -----------------

GameZone24.net Forums founder. The Director since 2003

Gospodski

Downloads: 165  Uploads: 0

For any kind of match - fortress way to go!
    Without pups, cannon and supers
    Something like wide open map like yodeller.. but fortress
    That could be pretty interesting map

Bellatores

Downloads: 71  Uploads: 0

I want to bring any style, kind and size of maps (from duel maps (2-5 players), medium-sized maps (5-8), to wide/deep/large ones for 8+ players).
    1. (from duel maps (2-5 players) - The Lost Tomb, Yodeller, Little Trouble
    2. medium-sized maps (5-8) - Fortress, Red Station
    3. to wide/deep/large ones for 8+ players) - Hole, Compound
    ------------------

Those are the best maps if you would ask me, in these conditions of course.
    Wake up to reality
    Nothing ever goes as planned
    In this accursed world

The longer you live the more you will realise
    That the only things that truly exist in this reality
    Are merely pain, suffering and futility

The selfish intent to preserve peace initiates wars
    And hatred is born in order to protect love
    For truly this reality is a hell

Campers Clan

Downloads: 60  Uploads: 5

Je veux pas te décourager mais je suis pas sûr que faire un map pack pour le peu que nous sommes (et surtout le très peu qui jouent encore) en vaille vraiment la peine. De plus j'ai déjà tenté ce genre d'expérience en 2018 avec le tournois All Stars, j'avais soigneusement choisit des maps qui se prêtaient bien à l'exercice du compétitif et au final ça a complètement bidé, pas assez de joueurs et le peu qui ont joué leur match m'avaient tous dit qu'ils auraient préféré un map pool avec les maps de base plutôt que des maps qu'ils connaissaient pas.

Bien sûr tu peux quand même le faire comme tu aimes vraiment ça, mais je pense pas que le résultat soit à la hauteur de tes attentes

Corsair - Asus - Razer - Beyerdynamic

Bellatores

Downloads: 71  Uploads: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post
    Je veux pas te décourager mais je suis pas sûr que faire un map pack pour le peu que nous sommes (et surtout le très peu qui jouent encore) en vaille vraiment la peine. De plus j'ai déjà tenté ce genre d'expérience en 2018 avec le tournois All Stars, j'avais soigneusement choisit des maps qui se prêtaient bien à l'exercice du compétitif et au final ça a complètement bidé, pas assez de joueurs et le peu qui ont joué leur match m'avaient tous dit qu'ils auraient préféré un map pool avec les maps de base plutôt que des maps qu'ils connaissaient pas.

Bien sûr tu peux quand même le faire comme tu aimes vraiment ça, mais je pense pas que le résultat soit à la hauteur de tes attentes
    Wake up to reality
    Nothing ever goes as planned
    In this accursed world

The longer you live the more you will realise
    That the only things that truly exist in this reality
    Are merely pain, suffering and futility

The selfish intent to preserve peace initiates wars
    And hatred is born in order to protect love
    For truly this reality is a hell

Downloads:Uploads: 0

Quote Originally Posted by Skyward View Post

Yeah, I know the game isn't that active. I'm not looking for a competitive use of the maps but just to get some fun in MP with some acceptable balance for each map.

I like doing those on my very free time so I'm gonna bring that once finished

Thread Information